Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Keycap sizes?

I recently bought a custom escape key to replace the caps lock from here:

https://www.wasdkeyboards.com/custom-tex...ycaps.html

I bought an R2x1.75 key and while it fits area it's angle and height doesn't appear to be the same as the DK66 Pro. Is there a size chart somewhere?

(04-28-2020, 07:04 PM)joestump Wrote: I recently bought a custom escape key to replace the caps lock from here:

https://www.wasdkeyboards.com/custom-tex...ycaps.html

I bought an R2x1.75 key and while it fits area it's angle and height doesn't appear to be the same as the DK66 Pro. Is there a size chart somewhere?
The keycap height of DK66 is OEM.

Okay, so something is off. I bought custom keycaps from wasdkeyboards.com and they do not match. I emailed their support and they confirmed they sell OEM profile keys. You can see the clear difference in height profiles between the "OEM" keys that came with the keyboard and OEM keys from WASD.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(04-29-2020, 07:26 PM)joestump Wrote: Okay, so something is off. I bought custom keycaps from wasdkeyboards.com and they do not match. I emailed their support and they confirmed they sell OEM profile keys. You can see the clear difference in height profiles between the "OEM" keys that came with the keyboard and OEM keys from WASD.
I am sorry to tell you that the keys of the DK66 pro is the "GSA". Not the "OEM".    Huh

What is a "GSA" profile? It is not easily found on the web. Is it a spelling mistake, some variant, or is it so rare, that I will need to change all keys simultanously if I wanted to customize DK66?

(06-13-2020, 07:48 PM)sk2751 Wrote: What is a "GSA" profile? It is not easily found on the web.  Is it a spelling mistake, some variant, or is it so rare, that I will need to change all keys simultanously if I wanted to customize DK66?
Incorrect statement, possibly a typo. The Kemove 64/66 has 100% PBT dye-sublimated DSA keycaps in white/green/pink or black/grey/red. The 61-key option from the same campaign comes with 85% double-shot OEM keycaps. You can try to mix and match with caps from other sets, but it may look or feel dysfunctional as a result.

I am interested in replacing the keycaps with a completely blank set. Do you think that a DSA profile blank set (perhaps for a full size keyboard, so that I have options to substitute) will work? I assume that I may need to keep the split space keys in. I have not yet analyzed the sizes of keys in detail, but it would help to know if all DSA profiles will match size-wise, then I can even buy single replacements to get the color set that I want.

(06-14-2020, 06:40 AM)sk2751 Wrote: I am interested in replacing the keycaps with a completely blank set. Do you think that a DSA profile blank set (perhaps for a full size keyboard, so that I have options to substitute)  will work? I assume that I may need to keep the split space keys in.  I have not yet analyzed the sizes of keys in detail, but it would help to know if all DSA profiles will match size-wise, then I can even buy single replacements to get the color set that I want.
Possibly. What you need to consider is that DSA is a reference to the physical profile of the keys, but not necessarily the individual sizing, layout, or quantity. To clarify, in order to accomodate for different sizes and layouts, different keycap sizes/lengths are used. In theory, all keycaps made to fit Cherry MX switches should fit on each Cherry MX or Cherry clone switch (such as Gateron or Kailh). However, when placed next to each other, you may experience size issues. The best course of action would be to first ascertain what quantity of each keycap is needed by length. Then, you can comfortably order a set which includes all of those, or just the ones you need individually. Dimension in length is usually organized in terms of "(#)U" or "(#)x". As an example, the TADA68 I am currently typing on has a 6.25x spacebar, 1.25x alt key, 2.25x left shift, 1.75x caps lock, 2x backspace, and 1.5x tab. Most of the keycaps are 1x in dimension for this board, and that is typically the case for the majority of keyboards in general. Keep in mind that some sets have profiles that are quite even on each horizontal row (such as DSA with exception of the spacebars), and others that are more sculpted (such as SA or XDA) to fit a more natural hand posture. This will be organized and referred to as "R(#)", such as R1, R3, et cetera. In the case of the split spacebar keys, if you just figure out the unit dimension of them and select the correct row and profile type for whatever set you want to use, you will mostly likely have a perfectly fine fit.

Unfortunately, I don't know the dimensions of all the keycaps for this board, and can't provide that information as I am not an employee with access to that info, and do not yet have my keyboard I backed six months ago. They really should include that information in the manuals for both the Kemove 64/66 and Kemove 61. Very important so people can get keycaps that will all fit. I recommend you ask them to give you the dimensions of your keycaps for your specific keyboard so you don't have this issue. Alternatively, if you have another keyboard with dimensions you do know, just pull the caps off and compare their horizontal lengths to those of your 64/66 keyboard.

I somehow like this board so much that I am thinking to place the order (they take orders now) and then do all the measurements. What you write seems to mean that in the worst case I should be able to match with other DSA keycaps. There might be very few odd sized keys, but in the worst case then I have to stick with the originals. I am in no hurry, so when the board arrives, I can do the measurements. I planned to use the vanilla layout for some time anyways. Visually it actually seems to have more 1x keys than other boards with this number of keys, which should (in principle) help to do a replacement on a DSA board. Thanks for helping.

I think there are Kemove employees on this board, so perhaps they can see this discussion and share the specs. In general, this looks like an interesting board, but the webshop is very parsimonious in information. You have to scout all sorts of places to build a full picture.

(06-14-2020, 08:07 AM)sk2751 Wrote: I somehow like this board so much that I am thinking to place the order (they take orders now) and then do all the measurements.  What you write seems to mean that in the worst case I should be able to match with other DSA keycaps.  There might be very few odd sized keys, but in the worst case then I have to stick with the originals.  I am in no hurry, so when the board arrives, I can do the measurements. I planned to use the vanilla layout for some time anyways.  Visually it actually seems to have more 1x keys than other boards with this number of keys, which should (in principle) help to do a  replacement on a DSA board.  Thanks for helping.

I think there are Kemove employees on this board, so perhaps they can see this discussion and share the specs.  In general, this looks like an interesting board, but the webshop is very parsimonious in information.  You have to scout all sorts of places to build a full picture.
You're welcome. Yes, you seem to understand my statements well enough. If you want to save a bit of money, they have an official AliExpress link for the Kemove 64/66 with white/green/pink DSA keycaps located on their website. Here it is for your own reference:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001050352328.html
Comes out to around $100 USD after shipping, less with coupons of course. May take around a month to arrive, give or take. I recommend you do your own research first, though. There are other options which you may want to consider. The iGK66 is quite similar and could also be nice if you're concerned about software compatibility or support with an OS besides Windows. Kemove has made multiple cool products, but their customer service is quite bad and irresponsible. I hope they improve on this, because they could become more popular and famous if they respected their customers enough to be honest with them. It's not right for a backer of their project to pay $129 and have to wait over 6 months and still have nothing, while other people will spend $100 or less for the same product and have it within 4-6 weeks. If you're willing to trust Kemove to deliver through AliExpress, then go ahead and buy it. Otherwise, I cannot recommend it in good faith.